Hello EVPB Family,
First, let me say that it was truly a pleasure meeting all of you who were available to come out last week! I really appreciate your time and letting me get a chance to start putting faces with all of the names.
I have some very exciting news to share with you about our faculty. Please welcome to the staff our new Associate Director of Bands and Jazz Director, Mr. Matthew Morey. We had several stellar candidates and Mr. Morey was far and away the best choice to help begin a New Era for the East View Patriot Band. Here’s a short note from him:
Dear EVPB Family,
I am excited to serve the East View band as your new Associate Director of Bands. I feel privileged to have the opportunity to work with such a great program and an outstanding group of kids. From talking with Mr. Torres and previous directors, I have heard wonderful things about East View and the band program and I am excited to be involved. I can’t wait to meet each and every one of you!
I am originally from Arlington, Texas where I played saxophone in band. I attended college at the University of North Texas. After graduation, I taught band in Texarkana for both middle and high school, but I am very excited to move to the Austin area to continue my career. At East View, I will be teaching concert band, assisting with the marching band, working with woodwinds, and coordinating the jazz program. Jazz is a specific passion for me and I look forward to building an especially strong program at East View.
Music education is my passion, and I can’t think of a better place to share it than Georgetown. I’m excited to move to the area in July and hit the ground running with leadership camp and summer band. Have a wonderful summer and GO PATRIOTS!
We will set up an opportunity for you all to meet both of the new faculty members likely after the second week of July. In the meantime here are some summer time assignments for band members:
1) Do your summer reading assignments and other projects for other classes if you have them! There is nothing more difficult than beginning a semester with an entire book or three to read in addition to the other thousand things you’ll need to do for school.
2) Leadership team, send me your dates for summer sectionals ASAP. The band hall can be available for those if you give me a time at least a week in advance and it works out with our schedules.
3) Everyone should be spending a great deal of time outside! Do chores, go swimming, play games/sports, do things when it’s hot!!! This is the best way for you to acclimate to the weather you’ll face in during summer band. If you sit inside all summer, you could regret it come Summer Camp.
4) Plug the calendar for the year into your personal/family calendars. Not only for Band, which will be 100% up to date this week, but for everything. This is super important!
5) Have fun!!! Do stuff you can’t do during the school year. Learn something new, read for fun, and see people, places and things that you want to see!
I cannot tell you how excited I am to work together! Below is a link to Carolina Crown’s victory run in 2013. I don’t know why, but as I get more into our show, I think more and more about Crown in 2013. Let me know what you think, especially if you haven’t seen this before!
See you soon!